After being forced to postpone a U.S tour last year after his mother fell ill, legendary British singer Morrissey launched his rescheduled American jaunt with a rousing and dramatic performance of “Action is My Middle Name” on Late Night with David Letterman last night (January 8).
With his backing band dressed in matching crisp white shirts, Morrissey whipped his microphone cord and emoted heavily through an inspired performance of the unreleased song. It’s taken from an allegedly completed album that has yet to see the light of day, primarily because the former lead singer of revered ‘80s band the Smiths is currently without a record label.
“Labels for the most part want to sign new discoveries so that that label alone is seen to be responsible for the rise of the artist,” he told Pitchfork last year. “There are no risks taken with music any more. No social commentary songs, no individualism. This is because everyone is deemed instantly replaceable.”
The fiery Letterman performance ended with Morrissey making the Sign of the Cross as his drummer struck a large gong behind the stage.
-Scott T. Sterling, CBS Local
Read More On Fresh1027.com:
- Selena Gomez Sends Sweet Birthday Message to Taylor Swift
- Ellie Goulding Reveals ‘Star Wars: The Last Jedi’ Cameo
- Kelly Clarkson & Josh Groban Duet on ‘Phantom of the Opera’ Song: Watch
- Taylor Swift Shares ‘Reputation’ Tour Trailer on 28th Birthday
- Nick Jonas Steps Into the Ring for ‘Home’ Video
- Karen & Jeffrey Want To Know: ‘What Makes You Feel Old AF?’