Days after appearing at the Olympics, Michael tweeted his excitement to fans and poked fun at the tabloids accusations that he performed a new single to help increase sales.
Morning everyone! Had a GREAT time at the closing! I hope you are not bothered by the press reports of my scandalous 'promotion' !!!—
George Michael (@GeorgeMichael) August 14, 2012
The singer took to the stage to perform his hit song, “Freedom ’90,” and closed with a new single called “White Light,” inspired by his recent life-threatening bout with pneumonia. The singer spent a month in an Austrian hospital after contracting the illness last year. His appearance at Olympic Stadium was the first since getting sick.
After debuting his new single, many took to Twitter to express their disappointment with his decision to perform new music instead of sticking to his hits, like all the other acts who performed at the closing ceremonies including Annie Lennox, The Who and The Spice Girls.
Some even accused Michael of trying to sell records instead of honoring his home country, the BBC reported.
Michael responded with a less than happy tweet, writing: “Please join me in telling them to f*** off!”
The singer expressed no regrets instead he defended his choice.
“It was my one chance on TV to thank you all for your loyalty and prayers, and I took it.”
What do you think about Michael’s choice? Tell us and then go watch the video for his new single, featuring Kate Moss, here.
– Shannon Carlin, CBS Local
Read More On Fresh1027.com:
- Selena Gomez Sends Sweet Birthday Message to Taylor Swift
- Ellie Goulding Reveals ‘Star Wars: The Last Jedi’ Cameo
- Kelly Clarkson & Josh Groban Duet on ‘Phantom of the Opera’ Song: Watch
- Taylor Swift Shares ‘Reputation’ Tour Trailer on 28th Birthday
- Nick Jonas Steps Into the Ring for ‘Home’ Video
- Karen & Jeffrey Want To Know: ‘What Makes You Feel Old AF?’