It’s been a life changing couple of years for Alicia Keys. First she got married and then she had her first son, Egypt, in 2010. Now the singer is getting ready to release her fifth album that she says is all about her life after motherhood.
Keys hasn’t released new music since her 2009 album, The Element of Freedom, but in a new video the singer speaks openly about having a baby and how that inspired her upcoming record.
Sitting by the piano in her studio, where she’s been working for the last eight months, Keys says she’s found a sense of empowerment since becoming a mother.
“I’ve come to a place where I trust myself,” she said. “I’ve stepped into womanhood and I’m not afraid to be whole woman that I am, flaws and all.”
Her as-yet-untitled album will explore this new side of Keys and address what it feels like when you finally find yourself.
“It’s not about being perfect,” she said. “It’s about being honest and truthful.”
Keys is excited for fans to hear her new stuff, comparing herself to a “caged animal, dying to escape,” but in the clip she says fans will have to wait a bit longer to actually hear what she’s been working on. Though, after a recent mysterious tweet, where she writes, “Beyond excited for tomorrow… I have a surprise for you!!!!” music might be coming sooner than fans thought.
Watch Alicia talk about her upcoming release below.
–Shannon Carlin, CBS Local
Read More On Fresh1027.com:
- Daisy Ridley Plays ‘Star Wars’ Theme on Kazoo: Watch
- DJ Earworm Unveils 2017 ‘United State of Pop’ Mix
- Michael Jackson’s ‘Blood on the Dancefloor’ Video Gets ‘Cirque du Soleil’ Update
- Lin-Manuel Miranda Teams with The Decemberists for ‘Ben Franklin’s Song’
- Fall Out Boy Shares ‘Champion’ Remix Featuring BTS’ RM
- Elton John to Be Honored with GRAMMY Tribute Show